The medicinal use of red raspberry dates back to the early 1500’s as raspberry leaf tea became popular throughout Europe, China, and North and South America. The Latin name is Rubus ideaus, also known as wild or garden raspberry; it grows widely throughout north america, found in thickets around fields and is frequently planted in gardens for the fruit it bears. The leaf and fruit are used medicinally.
Red raspberry is a popular tonic for women’s reproductive health, drank daily by teenagers to gently regulate the menstrual cycle, or drank regularly to prepare the body for a healthy pregnancy – however Red Raspberry is most known for its tonic effects during pregnancy. With centuries of safe and frequent use during pregnancy; raspberry is the best known and safest of all pregnancy tonic herbs, used to strengthen the reproductive system, to encourage fertility, used to prevent miscarriage, increase milk production and reduce the pain during labor and facilitate an easier childbirth.
Traditionally red raspberry leaves were drank as a tea from the beginning and throughout pregnancy, its benefits include:
- A tonic herb used to increase fertility in both men and women. Raspberry leaf is an excellent fertility herb when combined with Maca, Red Clover and Nettles.
- An astringent herb of benefit for preventing miscarriage and hemorrhage. Raspberry leaf tones the uterus and helps prevent miscarriage and postpartum hemorrhage from an atonic uterus.
- Easing of morning sickness. Raspberry leaves’ assist with gentle relief of nausea and stomach distress throughout pregnancy.
- Reducing pain during labor and after birth. By toning the pelvic and uterine muscles used during labor and delivery, Raspberry leaf can help minimise many possible complications and extended labor.
- A galactagogue: Assists in the production of breast milk in a nursing mother.
- Providing a safe and speedy birth. Raspberry leaf works to encourage the uterus function without tension. It does not strengthen contractions, but allows the contracting utering muscles to work more effectively and so may make the birth easier and faster.
Other applications: Astringent herbs such as red raspberry can be used to reduce symptoms of a sore throat, when prepared as a tea and used as a throat gargle – is also useful for reducing inflammation of bleeding gums and mouth ulcers and used for diarrhea and leucorrhea. The astringent properties can be used as an external wash for skin wounds, hemorrhoids and open sores to encourage a closing of the tissues and wound healing.
The leaf contains: tannins, flavonoids, fragarine, the leaves are rich in vitamins including iron, vitamin C, calcium, B vitamins and many minerals including phosphorus and potassium – all of which are needed during pregnancy. Thus making the tea a useful aid to ensure adequate minerals and for gently preventing iron deficiency anemia during pregnancy.
Red raspberry leaf contains the chemical fragarine, an alkaloid chemical, found to strengthen uterine muscles, tone the tissues of the pelvic region for an easier childbirth, helps to reduce the risk of bleeding and hemorrhage during labor and ensures in an easier delivery.
Raspberry can be safely drank before, throughout, and after pregnancy, and certainly consumed, used in 3 or more cups in the last trimester of pregnancy. During birth the infused tea of red raspberry can be drank hot or cold during labor or the tea can be frozen into ice cubes (prepared beforehand) and sucked on during labor, reportedly used to assist with expelling the placenta, encouraging the flow of breastmilk, and restoring the reproductive system and hormones after birth. Continue to consume the tea after birth to stimulate milk production and to encourage hormones to normalize after birth. Click here to purchase Red Raspberry Leaf Tea.
Check out our complete herbal care line for pregnancy, breastfeeding and babies at www.alchemyelixir.com some items of interest include:
- Buddha Belly: Pregnancy Blend an herbal blend packed with mineral rich herbs to minimize the risk of anemia, providing trace minerals (including iron, calcium, potassium, magnesium), offers gentle support for daily stress and tension.
- Blessed Birth Perineal Wash Our topical perineal wash offers immediate relief and healing from the burning and irritation of inflamed torn tissues.
- Happy Mommas Tea A specialty blend for hormonal balancing after birth.
- Mothers Milk Mix Lactation tea blend for increasing breast milk
- Blissful Baby: Colic Blend A gentle, soothing colic blend