The Boreal Herbal: Wild Food and Medicine Plants of the North is an indispensable guide to identifying and using northern plants for food and medicine. Award winning author Beverley Gray is a boreal herbalist, aromatherapist, natural-health practitioner and journalist.
Whether you’re hiking in remote areas or gardening in your backyard, this easy-to-use handbook will help you recognize and use fifty-five common wild plants that have extraordinary healing properties. With The Boreal Herbal you will learn how to soothe pain with White willow, staunch bleeding with Yarrow, treat a urinary-tract infection with Uva Ursi, and create a delicate and uplifting skin cream from sweetgrass – also included guidance for using Nettle, Goldenrod, Red Clover, Dandelion, Horsetail and Plantain.
Also included are dozens of healthy and delicious recipes, including Wild- Weed Spanakopita, Dandelion Wine, and Cranberry-Mint Muffins.
The Boreal Herbal features:
- Profiles of dozens of herbs, berries, and trees found in the northern boreal forest in Canada, Alaska, the Yukon and NWT: including information on their habitat, harvest times, medicinal applications, as well as food uses, cosmetic uses, and spiritual uses
- Full-colour photographs and botanical illustrations of each medicinal plant profiled in the book for easy identification
- Instruction on how to gather, prepare and preserve medicinal plants
- More than 200 recipes: teas, tinctures, powders, flower essences, topical treatments, beverages, jams and jellies, baked goods, soups, entrées, and much more
- Safety tips for harvesting and using edible and medicinal wild plants, including information on calculating dosage and plant-specific cautions
- A resource section for people interested in starting up a non-timber forest-products business
- Botanical and medicinal glossaries, an index, and handy reference charts
- Over 400 pages of valuable herbal medicine information
- International Awards: Silver Benjamin Franklin Award, Living Now Book Award, 2012 CBC Cross Country Cookbook Shelf “The North’s Favourite Cookbook”, Gold Nautilus Award, Next Generation Indie Book Awards
Regular Price $ 44.95 Currently on sale for $ 42.99 – Limited supplies only. To order click here: