Making delicious herbal Chai Tea at home is quite straight forward, you will only need some basic ingredients and creativity. Ensure that the herbs you are using are potent and relatively fresh, they should possess their characteristic aromatic scent before blending them into the tea and not be faded in color.
In a sauce pan with a tight fitting lid combine the following:
- 4cups water
- 6-8 slices of fresh ginger root or 1 heaping teaspoon of dried ginger root
- 1/3 tsp dried cardamom seeds
- 1 tsp dried cinnamon bark chopped
- A dash of nutmeg powder
- 1 teaspoon of dried fennel seeds (or/and anise seeds)
- 6-9 dried cloves
- 1 teaspoon of dried orange peel
- 1 teaspoon of chopped licorice root
- 4-5 black peppercorns
Bring water to a boil. Reduce heat,to a low temperature. Add all ingredients and simmer,covered for at least 20 minutes. The herbs can be simmered longer for a stronger, more spicy flavor. This tea can be sweetened with stevia or honey.
Options: For a creamy smooth drink you can also add in almond milk or coconut milk. Adding in 1 teaspoon of green tea to the mixture will produce a stronger variation. Or for a completely different spicy fruit flavor, add in hibiscus flowers.